CanWNT Talk: Olympic champs go on strike over funding dispute
The Canadian women's team's job action raises more questions about Canada Soccer's deal with Canada Soccer Business.
The Canadian women's team has walked off the job, and the players are going on strike ahead of next week's SheBelieves Cup.
The Canadian players issued a statement on Friday evening, venting their frustration over cutbacks in funding to the national program and what they view as inequality in spending compared to the men's team.
The players’ statement said Canada Soccer has cut training camp days, full camp windows, and the number of players and staff invited into camps, as well as scaling back funding for national youth teams. The players said they also have been told the national team will not play a home game before this summer's World Cup in Australia and New Zealand.
In issuing its statement, the players stated they want the same level of funding that the men's team received last year when it was preparing for the World Cup in Qatar.
After issuing the statement, Christine Sinclair and Janine Beckie told TSN that the team is going on strike, and that it will not train or play at the SheBelieves Cup until this issue is resolved. Canada is slated to open its tournament against the United States next Thursday in Orlando.
The men's team issued its own public letter in support of the women:
Canada Soccer issued a statement in response to the women's team's demands:
In the latest TFC Republic, I break down the issues between the two sides, examine what the Canadian women's team if fighting for, look at why this strike action raises more questions about Canada Soccer's deal with Canada Soccer Business, and more.
Watch the video below: